Cardamom is called the “Queen of Spices.” It has digestive, antispasmodic, and carminative properties. It helps stop belching, vomiting, and nausea. It induces perspiration and improves circulation. Cardamom is added to tea, coffee, and milk to counteract their bad effects, such as caffeine toxicity and phlegm formation.
• The husk of the cardamom is considered as an inert material rich in fiber, and chewing the whole cardamom along with food is supposed to prevent food putrefaction and constipation. Eating a ripe banana with a cardamom before going to bed cures constipation.
• If you are feeling giddy due to high blood pressure, mix one teaspoonful of cardamom seeds with two tsp of dried ginger, long pepper and licorice. Powder it and add five tablespoonfuls of sugar. Preserve in an airtight container. Take half teaspoonful with hot water twice daily.
• Cardamom is a remedy for delayed and defective absorption of nutrients. Mix cardamom, dried ginger, and nutmeg in equal quantities and powder them finely. Take one teaspoonful of the same with warm water for a month.
• Boil few mint leaves in a cup of water. Take if off the stove, add half teaspoon of powdered cardamom seeds, mix thoroughly, and drink. This cures the loss of taste and nausea.
• Mix and powder equal quantities of cardamom seeds, asafetida, dried ginger, and rock salt. Take a teaspoonful of this mixture along with warm water if you are suffering from indigestion. Even a combination of cardamom and saunf in powder form will do the trick.
• Make an infusion of equal parts of cardamom, saunf and ginger. Sip it after adding a pinch of asafetida in case of indigestion.
• If you are suffering from bad breath and sore throat, prepare an infusion of a teaspoonful each of cardamom, cinnamon, and bay leaves and drink. Also, cleanse the mouth with licorice decoction and chew some saunf frequently.
• If you are having nasal blocks, inhalation of the cardamom smoke, generated by putting it on live coal, acts excellently.
• Sniffing fine powder of equal quantities of cardamom seeds, cinnamon, black pepper and cumin relieves nose blockage due to common cold.